Translate

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Living in the Present

Would you ever go completely off the grid? Delete all these accounts that supposedly keep us linked to others, but really make us a generation of insecurities? Would you ever pack up your bags to live a life that is full? Full of uncertainties, change, and pure faith? 

I tend to think I would do all of this or I at least think I could, but in actuality I don't know that I'd ever get past the thinking process. I want to though, and I've come to think that that's ultimately the first step. I want to go on a fast from Facebook and even Instagram. I want to live a life that is full of laughter and positivity.

Although there are outer forces that are keeping me from doing all that I first mentioned, I am realizing that I can do the latter and that I am the number one factor holding myself back. I've set my goals so high and I have such extreme ambitions for myself, longing for what is to come, that I fail to stop and say thanks for the present day. I fail to seek out the positive around me. 

During my time in Namibia I was eager to return home and see friends and family, but I found that I could truly stop and stand in awe of the blessings surrounding me. Was it the simplicity of daily life? Was it the lack of all of this "social" media? Was it more time with my own thoughts or the time to analyze God's plans?

I don't really have a solution or even a tiny answer that clarifies life for me at this point in time. I do know that I'm not alone though, and I am certain of one thing...I'm tired of living for tomorrow when there's today, a day filled with God's grace, a sunrise and a sunset, and music that speaks to the soul.

In the words of Maya Angelou, "I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life...I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision."

I don't think I'll be able to accomplish all of this in one day, let's face it, I'm a broken individual, put back together daily by the grace of God. I do think that through prayer and support, the peace I found in my soul in a small village just 5km from the Angolan border can return.

1 comment:

  1. I went a couple years w/o internet in my apartment and that was really freeing for me. I didn't have a smart phone, so I only used the internet when it was available. I was still on facebook and all that, but it wasn't controlling me! Very freeing.

    ReplyDelete