Translate

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Kids Say the Darndest Things (ESL)

As I spend hours marking exams, I often find my butt going numb and my mind feeling like a giant blob.  In fact, after a whole day of sitting and marking, my whole body feels like a blob.  Luckily, my students say some pretty entertaining things in their essays, which makes marking a little more fun.  Here are a couple examples of the sweet and funny things that they say.  Most of them are because English is their second language, but I can't help but to giggle and share them with the world.  I have blurred out names just in case.  Also, some pictures may be hard to read, so click on the image to enlarge it.  ENJOY!

Students are always writing "Good Luck" at the end of their work.  It's endearing and makes me feel like they are wishing me Good Luck as I tackle the long and draining marking process.

"It looked so nice and it is formed with metamorphic rocks and sedimentary rocks."  UM, SCIENCE NERD!

One writing topic asked students to write a letter to a friend that dropped school.  They needed to inform them about the importance of Education, etc.  Who better to write a letter to about dropping school and education than none other than LIL WAYNE?  

Instead of being "Yours faithfully," my students like to be "Yours fanfully."  Whatever floats your boat :)

"My aim to take this pen and paper is to tell you..."  I just love that he told me his aims of putting pen to paper :)  FANCAAYY writing!

"God Bless Me to Pass."  After struggling through so many essays, not knowing what they were trying to say (Heaven forbid we use a period to end a sentence), I came across this gem and got a good chuckle.  God Bless me to get through all this marking!

"These many types of sports in schools like soccer, netball, volleyball, athletic (track), jumping."  Excuse me student, what sport is jumping?  And SIGN ME UP!

"the rain did not rain well."  I hate when the rain doesn't rain well.

"Greet your family and your friendly."  From now all of my friends will be called Friendlys (I guess if we are using correct grammar it is friendlies for the plural version).

Lastly, night time is dark.  If you didn't know that, please read paragraph one for a better depiction and understanding.


Well that is all I have to share for now.  Although marking is kicking my butt, I am almost finished (hopefully by Wednesday or Thursday) and my students have been entertaining me through their exam breaks.  These students are beyond hilarious and have so many questions about the world.  For all you young ladies out there, one learner is looking for an American girlfriend.  Any takers? Huh? Huh?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my! Kind of like a "mail order bride" service!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get the numb butt-mind blob thing!! That's how I feel after 8 hours of doing therapy with addicts!! Someone needs to do it...might as well be US!
    Love ya BIG!!
    Aunt Lee

    PS: I live in Cleveland now. Did your folks tell you?! Not easy for a Pittsburgher to transplant here...lol!

    ReplyDelete