Translate

Monday, June 28, 2010

Firenze e Pisa



So my time with my family in Italy is slowly winding down. We have just left Firenze (Florence), which was another great trip filled with way too much walking! I seriously think that I will be permanently sore for the rest of my life! My knees are swollen & my hips & ankles hurt (which isn't new to many of you)! Florence was completely different than Venice & I must say that Venice completely kicked the poor butt of Florence. Although Florence was great, the people were in too big of a hurry & the workers weren't very friendly. They very rarely let you speak Italian & when they did, they pretended like they didn't know what you were saying... tricky!! However, aside from the people, we were able to see some really amazing things & go on a very lengthy tour of Florence & it's museums! I also was able to sneak a picture of the beautiful REAL sculpture of David!! Here's the breakdown of our activities...

Day one: we arrived in Florence & checked in at our Hotel which is super cute & reminds me of my Nanny. We quickly left to catch a train to Pisa. In Pisa, we got lost for awhile, but quickly made our way to the leaning tower, where hundreds of people were snapping pictures. Although you only need an evening to go see the tower, I am VERY glad we went! It was completely worth it! After that, we headed back to Florence and went to the most precious restaurant called I'cche c'e c'e which means, "Whatever there is, there is." It is a small restaurant run by a husband & wife in their 60s. They are seriously the most precious people & have the cutest names, Mara & Gino!

Day two: We did a walking tour of what felt like ALL of Florence. We began our day off visiting and learning about some of the Palazzos, the Medici family, & visiting a couple of churches. That part of the tour was wrapped up with the Duomo (which was unfortunately closed when we went because of church). It was seriously crazy to see up close because it was so elaborate. We then got a lunch break & quickly had to meet up for our next tour which took us to the Uffizzi Gallery. Our tour guide was a little ehh, and I had a hard time paying attention because I had just learned everything she was talking about last semester in art history(see mom, I do listen in class). So I basically wandered around the room looking at other paintings or sat on a bench because my feet were dying. Lastly, we went to the Galleria dell'Accademia, which is now the home of the famous David statue! Our tour guide here was great & super sweet! I must say this was the best part of the day for me because I love love love this piece! I think if I went back again, I'd spend a whole day there just staring at him! On a plus, I was able to sneak a picture of him because nobody was patrolling.

Next stop Siena! I can't wait to get there & see another beautiful city! I know it will be a super busy day because we aren't there for very long but I'm sure it will be great! After that, Roma, my new home.

Ciao e Buona notte!

No comments:

Post a Comment