Translate

Friday, June 25, 2010

Venezia & the start of Roma



So we just officially finished up our third and last night in Venice! It has been so much fun and filled with endless activities! I am seriously so exhausted & officially too old for my age. For starters, we arrived in Rome on Wednesday the 23rd, where we quickly took a taxi to SAI and dropped off my suitcase that I will have for my time in school. After, we rushed to the train station & got on the next train out to Venice! Trains are seriously so awesome! I really wish Texas had some we could ride.

While in Venice we have been doing things literally all day long. Our first day we arrived around 4pm & had a relaxing evening. We went to our bed & breakfast & got our room which is super cute & cozy. We quickly left & began taking hundreds of pictures, went to get gelato (yumm!), ate pizza (which is so much better than America), & walked around exploring.

On day two, we we did more touristy things. We went to San Marco basilica, Campanille di San Marco (a big bell tower), the Guggenheim collection, and then followed it up with a canal tour. We ate at this great restaurant that our bed & breakfast host, Marco, recommended to us. The restaurant, Ae Oche, was in a part of Venice that didn't have as many tourists & our waiter didn't know very good English. Therefore, I was able to practice my Italian & I must say, I was pretty proud of myself! Every time he came over to the table, he would always talk to me & expect me to be the one to translate & help. It was a good feeling :)

On day three (Today), we headed back over to the area of San Marco. Mom & Dad went off to a museum and Amanda & I decided to just walk around & look at some shops for fun. We had a lot of time to spare & like no money so we ended up resting in "un parco pubblico" for a while. Later, we headed to Murano, which is best known for their glass blowing. We got to visit a lot of shops with beautiful glass art & even got to see some of their workshops. However, nobody was working around the time we went. To end the day, we got gelato, went to dinner (where the cutest Italian guy worked), and went on a gondola ride. The ride was really great and relaxing minus the driver talking about us, not knowing that I could translate some things he said. The ride was definitely a must do (but only once)!

Overall, I loved Venice and would totally come back. Tomorrow we are headed off to Florence (Firenze) where we will have many many more adventures.

Some bullet points about specific things I remembered to note during the days:
-our B&B is located in the old Jewish ghetto
-there are nuns everywhere & it's pretty humorous to see them driving tiny little cars.
-The fashion here is so awesome! I love how the guys dress (red pants & red shoes are now a must for my future hubby)
-Aunt Sandy, I spent your money already and got a vase & a necklace! Grazie :)
-I'm not too awful at Italian & can't wait to practice more!

1 comment: