Translate

Monday, July 15, 2013

A Learner's Dedication

Things work so differently here in this country.  Students seem to tend to most of the house chores, they sometimes live alone, and they have responsibilities I never could have imagined having at their age. Here's just a small glimpse into one of those moments.

Last Wednesday, I found out that one of my learners has been living alone in a house. Now, he is 20 years old, but he is still in 9th grade and needs the support of his family. His father is working in a different town and does not send money often, and his mom is doing the same. He lives in his stepmother's home, but she is not around.

This one boy is by far one of my best students. He is polite, interactive, does all his work, and gets high marks. He seriously makes class fun and so much brighter.  I would never be able to guess that he is suffering in some way. When I asked if there was any way I could help him though, he did not give me a long list of things he needed like food, clothes, etc.  Instead, he asked for something so simple and so pure… help with his school fees. For each term, students are required to pay 60 ND. That means 180 per year, about $18 USD. If they do not pay, they do not get their marks and will not be promoted to the next grade. As his teacher, my heart was overwhelmed by his one request, making me feel even more blessed to have him as a student. He could have asked for so much more.  He could have asked for something that probably was more vital (i.e. food).  He could have asked for something that would enjoyably pass the time (i.e. soccer ball).  But when I asked what he wanted help with, all he said was “Ms., my school fees.”


Side note: After writing this blog, today (Monday), this student gave an announcement to the school and these were his words before starting…

“I will speak in English because I do not think it is good to speak Oshikwanyama when our one teacher here does not understand.”

My heart was so full because as some of you know, most assemblies are not discussed in English.  It was incredibly heart warming to have him say this.  It showed me so much respect, and he probably has no idea how much that meant to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment