Translate

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Family and Friends

Term two has brought about so many different blessings.  I was blessed in term one, but these newer blessings are different.  They are the ones that will allow me to go home completely in love with my year abroad.  They are providing me with more memories and relationships that will last a lifetime. Although I have known how incredibly blessed I am by my new living arrangements, they were made even more obvious this weekend as I had 8 visitors in Odibo.  A bunch of volunteers made the trek even farther north to come see Oshikango and my village.  My homestead family was incredibly welcoming and loving.  As we arrived to the house, the kids were all there to greet us and help with our bags.  I think Henry, Vistorina, Nataniel, Martha, and a couple other girls were amazed by all of the people and probably the fact that Ms. Mac actually has friends.  The boys were making sure that we had water all weekend, they were ready to take us for a walk to Angola if we wanted it, and they were always there to share a pleasant greeting when we went outside.  Vistorina and the girls helped to get us some additional silverware and provided us with a performance of Owambo cultural dancing, which was one of the biggest highlights of my weekend.  On top of that, another lady on the homestead gave up her bed for the volunteers to borrow.  Her and Henry carried the mattress to my house and everyone was able to sleep comfortably both nights.


The hospitality of the Owambo tribe is something that I definitely want to take home with me.  They are so giving and warm, and no matter how many times you say that everything is fine as it is, they go above and beyond and make things better.  The best example of this was the mattress.  Although we told them that we were fine, they insisted that we take it because my friends were guests and they respected that.  Have you ever seen such great hospitality?  This lady gave up her bed, carried it to my house, and slept on a different bed, all because I had guests.  It was heart warming indeed.  One of the sweetest things I heard all weekend though came from Henry.  The first night everyone was there, Henry came into the house trying to remember peoples’ names.  He then proceeded to tell me, “Ms. they are all so happy.  They’re all so happy to be here with you.”  My heart was full.  I had my Namibian friends and I had my Namibian family.

2 comments:

  1. Does a heart good to see that kind of hospitality and warmth.
    You too have a big heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does. Thank you for your kind words and for following along on my journey, Carla!

    ReplyDelete