Translate

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hatching Eggs

Change is our responsibility. I realize that more and more as I am here in Namibia. It is up to us to change some of the situations that we are in. I don't say that in a God is not in control type of way, I say it because I think He gives us all the signs and tells us to flee, but so often we ignore him. By being in a foreign country for a year though, I've been able to take a step back from the crazy American life that I was living and understand more clearly about my responsibilities when it comes to getting rid  of the things in life that are not making me a better person. Maybe they never have, maybe they just no longer do. This year provides for the perfect opportunity to do that. I can really stop and evaluate different aspects of my life that need improvement and begin the long cleansing process. Some are traits in myself that I do not like, some are people who are holding me back, others include situations where I know I will fall short of the person I was intended to be.  I say all of this, but I know how incredibly hard it is to follow through with such things.  It is hard to change.  It is hard to get rid of things that I cling to even if they are bad or unhealthy for me.  It is hard.  Again though, that is why we have God.  He may point us in all the right directions and make it very apparent that change is needed, but he doesn't stop there.  He doesn't say, "Ok change.  Peace out, I'll see you when you complete this task."  Instead, He is there for the whole process.  He knows it will be hard, and He expects us to face troubles along the way, but He makes it very clear that He too will be going through the process with us.  When we turn to Him, we are a team.  A team with the most powerful, considerate leader.

I leave you with a quote from C.S Lewis about change:

"It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg.  We are like eggs at present.  And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg.  We must be hatched or go bad."

No comments:

Post a Comment