Translate

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Zim and Zam

I feel like I seriously have NOT blogged in awhile.  Life here in Northern Namibia is getting crazy busy as we wind down our year.  Exams are in full swing for the final term, I’m trying to start thinking about the packing process, and I am marking papers like a mad woman.  I leave the village in less than two weeks!  When did that happen?  However, I’m taking a little break to catch all of y’all up on the shenanigans that went down the previous week.

As several of you know, I traveled to Zambia and Zimbabwe with two other volunteers.  Before I go into great detail, let me just say that this is one of the best trips I have ever taken!  It may have been because it was spontaneous.  It may have been the company.  It may have been because the locals in these two countries are some of the nicest people I have ever met.  It may have been because I did some pretty extreme, hardcore stuff while I was there. Or maybe, it was all of the above and even more.  Either way, all you need to know is that I highly recommend traveling to these parts of Africa.

For the adventures we encountered, let me break it down day-by-day for you:

Friday: This was the first day of exams, so we all left school a little early so that we could get to the south before it was too late.  We went in style and avoided combis like it was the plague.  Somehow, we managed to get two private hikes (hitch hiking) all the way to Windhoek.  I can’t say that they were the safest drivers, but they sure got us to the city quickly.  Plus, there was a little AirCon to make us smile.  After arriving in Windhoek, we checked in at the hostel and headed to dinner.  It was an early night because we had an early flight the next morning.

Saturday: AIRPORT!!!  I think this is the longest I have gone without flying since living in Saudi.  If you know me well, you know the airport is one of the places that I feel most alive.  I could go to one every day just to watch the people, guess the different nationalities, and daydream about possible adventures.  My soul is happy here.  Either way, we woke up around 4am to get to the airport.  We caught a flight from Windhoek to JoBurg, and then JoBurg to Livingstone.  We stayed in Zambia during this trip, so the first day we just explored the open markets around town.  I was able to buy some fabric for myself and a couple Christmas gifts for the family.  It was another early night (who am I kidding, every night was early…we are grannies) because we had to catch a bus to Zim early the next day.

Sunday: Emily and Mallory had plans to go to Botswana in the morning, and in order to get there we had to pass through Zimbabwe.  On this morning, we woke up early, caught a bus to the border, purchased our visas, and headed off to another country.  I decided not to go to Botswana in order to save money for South Africa, plus I went on a safari with my parents and I was able to see a lot of cats.  While the girls were gone, I went on a tour of the falls.  I could have easily done this by myself, but it was nice to get a little bit of the history, plus I was able to make some new friends.  While I waited for the girls, I explored the markets and shops.  I think I made more friends in Zim than I have a whole year in Namibia.  Talk about the NICEST PEOPLE EVER!  Before the day started, I was a little concerned about being alone for 7 hours, but in the end, it was so rewarding to spend one-on-one time with the locals.

Mallory and Emily got back to Zim around 3, and then Em and I headed out to ride ELEPHANTS!!  We went on a 45-minute trek through Zimbabwe on the back of an elephant.  Our guide, Tom, told us a lot of interesting things about elephants, especially Doma, the one we were riding.  Doma is a 40 year-old male who is waiting for his last molar to come in.  Apparently, when the 6th and last molar has come in at the age of 45, the male elephant is finally mature and ready to reproduce.  Why are men always such late bloomers?!  Female elephants are ready to go at 12 or so.  Come on boys!  After the trek though, we got to snuggle with Doma and take precious pictures, which you can find via my Facebook and Instagram.  The night ended with an African dinner and a drive back to Zambia.

Monday: Dreaded MONDAY!  The Devil’s Pool.  If you have never heard of this or done any research, please go do so now so that you have an understanding of what I am about to say.  All you really need to do is go to Google, type in the name, and prepare to feel nauseous. 

Since it is dry season in Zambia right now, tourists are allowed to swim in the Devil’s Pool, which is basically a little section of water at the lip of Victoria Falls.  I’m talking lip. Like I can see down the fall lip.  Apparently, two years ago a guide died trying to save a tourist who was not an experienced swimmer, so I was feeling really safe… not!  The night before and the morning of, Emily and I were trying to do everything possible to back out of this adventure.  I thought I was going to VOM!  However, with the help of some people at home, my mom and friend, Andrew, I sucked it up and went.  Since I had not talked to my mom much during the trip, she didn’t know how badly I wanted to back out.  I woke that morning to a Facebook message about how I would be fine, safe, and have so much fun… Mom says it’s ok, it must be!  I also had a comment from Andrew asking if I had gone to Devil’s Pool.  I even responded no and that I wasn’t going because I was too afraid.  Afterwards though, I just kept thinking about these comments and realized I would regret it if I didn’t go…I went!  Let me tell you, I would have regretted it if I hadn’t gone.  It was amazing, scary, nauseating and rewarding all in one.  I don’t currently have enough time to go into great detail about this, so if you have questions, feel free to ask.

The rest of the afternoon, we lounged at a super fancy pool back in Zim.  We were told that we could not visit the pool because we weren’t guests, but working the puppy eyes and the volunteer card, we managed to convince a softie to let us in.  He told us that if anybody was to ask, we were on a sight inspection for Wilderness Safaris, an organization in Namibia. SCORE!  Pool time and buffet.  :) We were happy, happy, happy!  Our waiter’s name was even Simba.  Does it get much better than that?!  The night ended with us back in Zambia, packing for our flight home.

Tuesday & Wednesday: To sum up these two days quickly… 5 taxi rides. 2 airplanes. 1 combi. A LOT OF MILES TRAVELLED! A LOT OF SWEATING!

That’s the bulk of the trip though. It was awesome. It was beautiful. It was needed. It was good for the soul!

Below is a link to my Facebook photos: (hopefully this works)


No comments:

Post a Comment