Translate

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Returning To and Leaving Behind

As I start my eleventh month here in Namibia, I start to imagine all of the things that I will be going home to.  Things that I have not experienced in ELEVEN WHOLE MONTHS!  Thinks I crave.  Things I anxiously await.  Things I miss.  Here is a short list of what I am currently looking forward to in the next month.

  1. Church
  2. Driving anywhere/everywhere (unfortunately, I sold my car so this one will have to wait a bit longer)
  3. The gym
  4. Snuggly pups
  5. Being anonymous
  6. Being ignored by 75% of the male population
  7. Chipotle
  8. Having someone to turn to daily for deep conversation
  9. Whole Foods
  10. Almond EVERYTHING (nuts, flour, milk, ice cream)


With that list though of course comes a list of things I cannot believe that I will be leaving behind.  Things that I will miss greatly.  Things that my soul will long for in a deep way.  Things I may never experience again in my life.  Here is a short list of what I know for a fact that I will miss once I return home.

  1. My beautiful ninth grade learners
  2. The easiness/cheapness of seeing a country
  3. This simplicity of life
  4. Conversations with goats, cows, chickens (I confess, I daily speak with these animals either out loud or in my head.  No, I am not crazy)
  5. Smiling, happy children who do not need to be entertained by electronics
  6. Not being anonymous (bittersweet one)
  7. Being blown away by the strength of these learners
  8. Biltong (similar to beef jerky, but a million times more delicious)
  9. Embe (a traditional berry)
  10. BASKETS!


No comments:

Post a Comment