Translate

Friday, April 12, 2013

Africanisms

Africanisms 101 (may pertain just to Namibia):

My students, coworkers, and locals do some crazy things that honestly make no sense to me. They are odd to this American girl's culture, but some are sweet and endearing. Here's a list, feel free to ask additional questions for clarification. 

  1. Paper eating. Everyone loves to eat paper. I'm talking take a whole sheet of paper, wad it up into a ball, and shove it in your mouth. 
  2. There is this throat thing that everyone does. It basically sounds like a pig. I have been told by another volunteer that they do it when they are thirsty, but I'm not 100% sure. It is physically impossible for me to even do. 
  3. Women are constantly told what to do. Now this one, this one makes me mad. I am a strong-minded woman. I don't take much crap from people, so when we are both sitting at a table and you tell me to get you something, that is not ok. In the words of Bon qui qui, I will CUT you!!!
  4.  Beer bottles make for amazing seats. Namibians are all about sitting on the ground, on rocks, and even empty beer bottles. Turn that baby upside down with the neck facing the ground and you have a perfect little stool. 
  5. All of my students start their letters with the same greeting..." I greet you in the name of Jesus." However, we are still struggling with great and greet, so most people great me in the name of Jesus. No matter what, it is sweet. 

Well that's all for now. There are so many more things, but these seemed the most entertaining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment