Translate

Friday, April 12, 2013

Exam...Examinations!

This was the second week of exams and I must say that I am exhausted. I am so ready for this month long break so that I can relax, rejuvenate and explore. Exams are a lot different here than they are from the USA, but I won't bore you will all of the random details. The most important thing is just that I still have to teach while they test. I'm probably the only one teaching, and some days I have just played educational games like Simon Says for listening practice and spelling bees. Time could definitely be better spent giving these students more than one exam a day though. 

As for the exam setup, you are not allowed to proctor your own exam, and instead, you monitor another teacher's. This is really great when you have Otjiherero or agriculture, which you know nothing about. 

Some of the good things that have come from exams though are seeing that some of my students are actually pretty smart when there is weighted importance. They do not seem to take regular tests seriously, but exams are a  different story. On top of that, a lot of my grade 8 boys always pray before testing. It is great to see this, especially as a person that pretty much prayed before every important exam throughout her college career. I'm not gonna lie though, the first time it took me by surprise and I thought my student was sleeping so I kept asking them to wake him up. They politely informed me, "Ms. He's praying." Melt my heart. It is so great that they understand the strength that our father can give us, which is something I so often need to be reminded of as I feel weak and out of control in this crazy country. 

P.S.  I have not finished all of my grade 8 grades yet, but as far as grade 5, only 6 students failed (below a 30), and for grade 7, only 5 did!  That's pretty good :)

1 comment:

  1. Did this failing number go up?? You were marking lots of zeros Saturday!

    ReplyDelete