Translate

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Holiday Part Two: Living Big and Fancy

Day 9:
The second half of our journey was a little bit more relaxing than the first.  And by half, I obviously did not half my travels appropriately.  They are divided according to when I started jotting down information in the backseat of the car. 

On day 9, the group left Luderitz and headed even farther south to Fish River Canyon.  We started at the most southern part, Ai-Ais.  In Ai-Ais, there is a nice resort with hot pools, which are naturally heated by a small hot spring in the area.  When we first arrived, we were in awe of this place.  It was luxurious and the fanciest thing we had seen in months, so we quickly changed our schedule in order to stay for two nights instead of one.

While there the first day, we enjoyed the pools and delicious chips (French fries).  We then headed to our campsite, made S’mores, and went to bed.  Crazy enough, it rained that night!  Surprisingly, our little China Shop tent made it through the night, but I did not sleep comfortably thanks to this dancer’s body of mine.

Day 10:
We continued to hangout in Ai-Ais.  We were hoping to work on our tans, but the weather had a different plan.  It was chilly, overcast, and sprinkling off and on.  This led us to stay inside at the indoor pool. I upgraded to a real room because they were reasonably priced and I knew that bucket baths were very near in my future.  Then, three of us treated ourselves to a massage.  The day was full of relaxation and tasty food, some of my favorite things.

Day 11:
We woke early and headed to the northern part of Fish River Canyon, Hobas.  Fish River Canyon is the second largest canyon in the world, after the Grand Canyon.  This was the other site on my list that I wanted to see before heading home and it did not disappoint.  Although we were only there for about 30 minutes, I could have stayed and stared at that canyon for hours.  It is amazing to think about how these things form, but even more so to stop and realize that we have a great Creator that loves us enough to bless us with such beautiful things.

The remainder of the day we drove back to Windhoek so we could get on the road early the next day. 

Day 12:
Home to the north we went.  We returned our rental car, got into a combi, and for 8 hours we were reminded how much hotter the north is to the south.  Even with that dreadful heat around me though, I was so excited to see cows on the street and homesteads.  The North feels much more like home, so I was so happy to finally make it back to my homestead the following day.


No comments:

Post a Comment