Translate

Friday, September 27, 2013

Naked = Sweat free

Here is a serious question that I am continuously pondering…how do Namibians wear clothes all the time?  And by clothes, I mean long trousers and long jerseys (sweaters).  As I sit at work, all I can think about is getting home and stripping down.  If I had my choice, I would walk around this country naked.  I would adapt the ways of the Himbas just so that I wouldn’t feel like I was suffocating in my own clothes.

I realize my question is kind of silly, because I’m obviously wearing clothes too, but the difference is that I am wearing as little as possible without getting in trouble.  I wear light materials and sleeveless shirts in order to put a stop on the amount of sweat that is covering my body, which by the way does not really work…  Basically, this country is freaking HOT!  Somehow I forgot that during the somewhat cooler months in term 2.

Enough of all of that weather talk though… This week I don’t have much to update people on.  In many ways, the week has been hellish.  I had a nice heart-to-heart/crying session with my principal about some of the struggles I am facing with my students.  In return, she shared some of the struggles she also faces as a female principal.  I cried. She cried.  It was awful and beautiful all at the same time. So that you know how I felt this week, here is an excerpt I began to write after being completely knocked down by some of my 8C learners:

 .............

“It has been awhile since I’ve had a real heart-to-heart with all of y’all, so here it is.  I am ready to come home.  Plain and simple.  I am ready to be home with people I love.  I am ready to be in a place where I am respected.  I am ready for a little relaxation.  This term, which is only in its third week, has been overwhelming and exhausting in every aspect.  Daily I am taken advantage of by students and occasionally by coworkers.  I am pulled in different directions as I try to accommodate everyone and help as much as possible.  I am teacher, librarian, and occasionally a secretary, but with all of those titles, I do not gain more respect.  In fact, it seems I receive less as time goes by.  Students take advantage of me on a daily basis because I am not Namibian.  They speak excessively in class, they lie to me because they know I don’t know any better, and they are often times not grateful for what I am trying to do.  Almost every English class period I go to, I find students that have gone home early, which in the long run puts more work on me to track them down and make sure they have the information they need.

I know that many people here do not know what it is like to leave everything behind and start a new life in a new country.  I also know that they did not ask me to come here and do those things for them.  However, when students ask me to stay longer or say they will miss me when I leave, I am hurt when the next day comes and they are talking in class or not paying attention.  In addition to that, I have had a colleague tell me that she wants to talk to me about how the teachers do not treat me well.  Instead of talking to me about that, why don’t we just treat me better?”

.............

That was something I started and didn’t really finish because I had to teach another class.  Also, I honestly didn’t want my blog to come off negative, because in fact, I am incredibly lucky to be at the school I am.  I have been supported by a handful of coworkers and I have a great home/family.  I do however believe that honesty is the best policy and by putting my difficult times out there, people know what I am actually facing from time to time.  This life, like every life, is not perfect or always sunny.

As for school news, grade 10 started their exams today.  They are all camping up at the school.  The boys have set their tents up on one side of the campus and the girls have set up on the other side.  Since so many students don’t have electricity at home, they allow the students to crash at school during this time period.  The kids are loving it.  It’s like a giant slumber party with your closest friends, and on top of that, they don’t have to go home, fetch water, or collect firewood.

Well, that’s all for this week.  Amanda and Mark are headed back to good ole America.  In fact, they should be in London right now making their last stop.  Show them some love when they return since they too will be embarking on a huge adventure within the next month....The Oberstoetters are taking on CANADA!


Random Village happenings that made me smile:
  • I showed my students a picture of Fabian (dog), and one boy asked me what his job was.  He was referring to guard dog. Unfortunately, Fabian is NOT that cool, or brave...
  • A boy in 9A asked if I was going anywhere for the weekend.  After telling him no, he said, "we only have a few days to miss you then."
  • I took Vistorina and Martha to town today, and they were giggling and enjoying a day on the town.  We got to shop and explore together.



No comments:

Post a Comment