Translate

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Term 3 has Begun

Term 3, my very last term in Namibia, has officially started, which means I have less than 100 days left in this country.  I made it through my first week back, but I won’t lie, it was not easy.  Our time changed last Sunday, which signified the start of spring (it feels more like summer and my thermometer says it is 81F at 10:45 am...I'm sure it is wrong).  We sprung our clocks forward, making it dark again when I wake up.  There is something about waking up when the sun is still down that is a little depressing to me.  It makes the mornings harder than they already are.  However, they aren’t just proving to be difficult for me; they’re also messing with the students.  Since many of these kids do not have electricity in their homes, some have no way of knowing that it is time to get ready for school.  They depend on the traditional alarm clocks of the rooster and the sun, which is difficult with this new change, and causes about 1/3 of the students to show up to first period late.

Our first week back, I spent time going over the English exam with my 9th graders, and then we transitioned into a group project that they will be presenting for my sister and brother in-law.  Each class has been divided into groups of 5-6 people.  They are required to choose one topic about Namibia so that they can teach Mark and Amanda a little bit more about their country.  So far, things seem to be off to a good start.  We have some kids talking about Namibian history, others are talking about traditional food and clothing, and others are going to explain the language of Oshikwanyama.  Although this is more for Amanda and Mark, it will be good for the students to get practice talking in front of others and working with different types of people.  I was that teacher I disliked growing up, and put the kids into random groups.  No way was I going to let them choose...it would have been a hot mess!  As for my BIS classes, I started introducing all of them to the library.  We went over the different rules, sections of the library, etc.  Already, about 40-50 books have been checked out, and in a week, they will have about 100 or so more books to choose from!

This weekend I was supposed to go to Etosha with some of our LRC students (similar to Student Council), but unfortunately the date got switched to next weekend, which means I can’t go because MY SISTER WILL BE IN NAMIBIA!!!  Yes, in exactly 6 days I will get to hug Amanda and Mark for the first time in 8 months.  The McLaughlin girls will be reunited at last.  My heart is so happy about this, and I can’t wait to see their reactions to many things, like living with no running water and bugs constantly in the house.  I'm talking giant lizards... 

Back home everyone is transitioning into fall, which is by far my favorite season.  I love the changing leaves.  The transition into fall clothing.  The idea of months of family related events on the way.  Since I am missing this and all things pumpkin (I LOVE PUMPKIN), a little homesickness has crept its way back into my daily routines.  However, with only 3 months to go, I know that a year without all of these things will make them that much more wonderful when I return.  Here’s a short list of things I look forward to when I return:
  • ·      A real shower, or more importantly, a bath tub
  • ·      A more active lifestyle
  • ·      A nice haircut where I feel pretty
  • ·      Edamame and other unique foods that are impossible to find here
  • ·      Almond milk
  • ·      G-free muffins and anything with a cake like texture
  • ·      Christmas lights
  • ·      My precious Fabian

No comments:

Post a Comment