Translate

Monday, August 2, 2010

Home Sweet Rome




Wow!! I actually leave to go back to Texas in 5 days! I seriously can't wrap my head around that. It feels like I just got here and like I have so much more I need to do and see. It's funny because even 6 weeks isn't enough to see all that you want to see in Rome, let alone Italy or Europe. I'm excited for what the future holds though. I'm excited to get back to Texas & move into my new apartment, I'm excited to make decisions about working in the school year, I'm excited to start applying for internships, and I'm even a little excited to start classes. However, I'm really sad about leaving this city. I'm not really a city girl, but in some crazy way, I've fallen in love with this place & how active I am here. I could never live here for several reasons I won't go into on here, but I feel as if it's home after a long weekend & that's more than I could ever say about Waco and Baylor.

This weekend helped me to appreciate the city and living here more. I was so busy every day, but I wouldn't change that. I love that I always have something to do here & don't have to worry about wasting gas money :) Here's a breakdown of what I've been awful at posting...Hopefully this week I can try to write each day, but we will see.

Thursday: After completing my third speech of the summer session, I was really needing a break from all things school. Therefor, I crossed over the Tiber and went into the city. I was able to go off and explore by myself which was really nice & refreshing. I purposely got lost in the city, going down back allies and never worrying about if I'd find my way out. I would usually be nervous in this situation, but in Rome everything is different. I was totally at peace and eventually I ended up in Piazza Navona. I finished the day with some shopping and going to Scholars with Natalie. We both got fruity drinks that were amazing! Mine had strawberry, pineapple, and other fruits. We headed home pretty early because our next day was gonna be early.

Friday: On Friday, Natalie, Paulina, and I headed off to Milano! We caught the fast train at 8am and met a really nice Canadian that had been backpacking throughout Europe. He shared his stories with us and showed me all of his pictures from Ireland. He told me it was the prettiest and friendliest country he'd been too! I'm thinking this whole moving there thing is looking better & better.

At around 11, we finally arrived at the train station where we caught the metro to the duomo. The duomo was gorgeous and was by far my favorite in Italy! The architecture is unbelievable and from the roof, you feel God's beauty! If I lived there, I'm pretty sure the 5 euro to the top would be a frequent trip for me. As for the rest of the day, we went to Castello Sforzesco and did a lot of shopping! Of course I bought a couple of things and ate way too much gelato, but the whole day was completely worth it and I'm glad we went. We got back home to Rome around 10:30pm.

Saturday: Well this was another early morning. On Saturday, all of my roomies minus two headed off to Sperlonga, a Roman beach, about 1.5 hours from the city. In Sperlonga, we were able to relax and catch up on sleep. I took several little naps this day and people watched like crazy! The families are so entertaining to watch. Nobody cares how they look as long as they're getting their tan on. The little girls run around topless and everybody is having the time of their lives. There are a lot of traits that America could benefit from here. After a couple hours, we walked around the city. It consisted of a lot of stairs, but after awhile we made it to the top and were able to see the view of the city. The water was so blue & the town was so peaceful. The rest of the night we spent back in Rome. We got dinner at da'Tony's! It was amazing!

Sunday: I headed off to the Porta Portese market with the girls. It was a lot more crowded this week than last week but that's because it was a couple hours later. There was so much to look at and a lot to buy if you were looking for little trinkets. Nat is the only one that bought anything and she got a little espresso maker for pretty cheap. The rest of the day Paulina, Natalie, and I walked around the city. We took a break on some grass near the Tiber and were able to people watch and nap. Like usual, we finished our day by going to karaoke at Scholars. We sang "I want you to want me!" I'm seriously going to miss this place and I honestly feel like these guys have become my "friends." This is by far one of my favorite places in Rome and I will miss the environment and the workers who have opened up their hearts to us and have watched over us while in Rome.

With all of that being said, I still can't believe how fast the time has gone by! I'm hoping mom has some nice Mexican food waiting for me for dinner when I get home or that we at least go to Chuy's after church on Sunday! I am so carbed up and need something to eat besides pasta (but I do LOVE pasta)!

Can't wait to see you all!
A presto :)
T

No comments:

Post a Comment