Translate

Friday, January 25, 2013

Beginning Days in Otjerunda


Here’s for honesty...  I have been in Otjerunda for three days now and I can already admit that this will be the hardest thing I have done with my life.  Each day I am presented with new challenges and different emotions.  I wish that I could say that I have been strong and conquered the first couple days with grace and a worldly manner, but in all honesty, I have gone through almost every cultural high and low possible.  This experience has proven to be a new world to me, and without God and my parents, there is no way I would make it through the year.

On Thursday evening, I arrived at my new house with close to 50 eyes on me.  I am at a hostel school, which means that a majority of the students live on school grounds.  My house and the male house are also on school property.  As I got out of the van, teachers and learners awaited my descent.  My emotions here were ones of nervousness and excitement.  As a couple minutes passed though, we entered my home and I was shown where I would be living.  My room is a decent size and includes a double bed, a wardrobe, a fridge, desk, and stove (not working yet).  Now that I am set up, I can take a step back and realize that this room will be beneficial for the year.  I also share a bathroom with my roommate, her two children, and her siblings.  The bathroom will present my biggest struggles for the year.  Currently, the sink does not work and the toilet does not flush, so if you are planning to do additional business, you have to fill a water bucket and prepare to flush the old fashioned way.  The bathroom is definitely a get in and get out sort of situation for me.  As for the rest of Thursday, I spent time unpacking, organizing, and adjusting to my new home.

When Friday morning came, I followed my roommate to the teacher’s office where I met additional teachers.  There are about 19 of us, 11 of which teach 5th grade and up.  Mr. Zahungama, my principal, took the time to introduce me to all of the teachers.  The names are difficult and I have failed miserably at remembering them, which for those of you that know me well, I usually take pride in being good with names.  During the meeting, I learned that I will also be teaching 8-9th grade art.  I am not 100% sure what this entails yet, but I am excited to get creative with some of my learners.  Following the meeting, I was introduced to all of the students. As I told them my full name, they all broke out in laughter because it was so new to them.  The rest of the school day, I helped another colleague work on the time-table (class schedule), which is completed all on poster board.

When the school day was considered over, my roommate and I took a hike into Opuwo.  We were able to stay for a couple hours, so I was able to meet up with Mailin and Ashley for the day.  I purchased groceries and house supplies, had the opportunity to see more Himbas than I could ever imagine, and was approached by more strangers than I would have thought possible.  My day ended with a hike home, soccer and Frisbee with my learners, and me cooking chicken on my own for the very first time in my life.  It was a productive day for sure.  Oh also, our water went out this night. Yay!

On Saturday, I had planned to go into town to meet up with the girls again in order to run some more errands.  However, this would be my first solo hike.   To say I was nervous was an understatement.  I was sure I would not make it, but luckily, I convinced some of my learners to walk to the road with me and teach me to catch a ride.  I was able to finally get a car after 40 minutes and was on my way to Opuwo.  Once there, I got some tea, did more shopping, and bought another new bracelet (only $10 ND, which is about $1.50 USD).  Ashley, Mailin, and I, walked around town some more and discussed all of the problems/exciting situations we will be presented with this year.  Speaking of problems we were going to face, the grocery store closes at 1:30 pm on Saturday and we got there at 1:40.  This was a problem because I was planning to buy water in order to shower and look presentable.  Fortunately, God always provides and a butcher, yes a butcher, overheard us talking about my situation.  He took me to his shop, filled a huge bucket of water for me, and then had his wife drive me home.  I was so blessed in this situation that I can’t even put it into words!  On the drive home, his wife told me about her time in Namibia.  She is originally from South Africa, has 3 children, and has thoroughly enjoyed living in Namibia.  Being sweet and friendly, she gave me her number and told me to contact her if I ever needed help.  Again, a huge blessing!  From there, I spent the rest of the evening with my learners.  We played soccer in the field and went for a walk.  The principal saw us playing and has since asked me if I want to train the girls’ soccer team.  I guess I said yes, but I have no idea how to play soccer, so if any of you athletes have advice/plays, I would greatly appreciate it!

Sunday, today, has presented me with my biggest challenges.  I have been homesick more than I care to admit.  Without going into town, I am limited on what I can do and who can understand me well.  I was supposed to finish the time-table with some of the guys, but they needed to go to town to run some more errands.  Therefore, I volunteered to work on it.  This is a tricky job indeed because classes are set up differently than in the US.  I’m hoping that what I was able to get done will be beneficial, but no promises because there are more classes than there are time periods…  Other than doing that today, I have been in my room watching shows on my computer, writing, talking with my parents, and figuring out some little things.  My current state: I feel like I am the new toy that everyone wants to play with.  I am completely flattered, but also very exhausted from all of the attention.  I am not a person that enjoys being the center of attention, so I pray that my newness goes away pretty quickly.

Tomorrow is my first full week of school though.  As far as I understand, Monday will be used to pass out school materials and then we will start teaching on Tuesday.  Unfortunately, I may not be at school Tuesday because the Kunene girls need to go to Oshikati for our tax id.  This allows us to actually make some money while we are in Namibia.

Well that is all for now.  Pray for my strength so that I can continue to do good for these learners.  Also, stay tuned for an upcoming project I hope to take on while I am here.  There are no promises it will work, but baby steps will make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment