Translate

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Windhoek, Namibia

I am officially in Namibia, so this is my first African post!!  I cannot even believe that I am finally here. I'm not gonna lie, the process was long and draining.  After 16 plus nauseating hours on a plane to South Africa, and then another plane ride into Windhoek, I was so thankful for African soil.  When we arrived in Windhoek, we were greeted by a very tiny airport and some nice heat similar to Texas' late spring, but without the humidity.  We then got our visas, our luggage, and exchanged some money.  Our Field Director, Bret, met us at the airport with a bus, and then we were on our way to the hostel.  The drive in was close to an hour, which was so nice because we got to see some of the Namibian landscape.  There's flat land and gorgeous mountains in the distance.  The sky was literally so clear that you could see the clouds' shadows on the open land.  It was awesome and I so wish I had pictures to share.

After arriving at our hostel, we quickly settled in our rooms and changed into cooler clothes.  I am sharing a room with Ashley, Mariella, and Jamie, which I am so excited about.  Since making it to the hostel, we have been going through our orientation packet.  On Monday (New Year's Eve), we had a pretty easy day and ended with a braii (BBQ).  Most people stayed up until the New Year, but with jet lag, I unfortunately got in my bed around 11:30.  I did however wake up at 11:59, watch my clock change to midnight, and then fall back asleep at 12:01.  It was a crazy night :)

Today, Tuesday, we started lectures around 10.  We've basically been focusing on culture shock and things to expect in Namibia.  We also started learning our languages.  A gentleman, Remsey, came and taught 4 of us Otjiherero, which was seriously the best part of my day.  I am going to have the hardest time remembering all of these words, but it is seriously such a fun and interesting language.  Here's a list of things I learned today:

  1. Moro- morning; Metaha- afternoon, hwenda- night
  2. Tji ke?- How's it going
  3. Ami mba za ko Amerika ko Texas- I am from Texas, America
  4. otjiti ndje za- leave me alone
Gah!  It's so fun!  Tonight we have another group dinner, but other than that, we're free for the rest of the day.  Tomorrow we are headed to the city, so hopefully I will be able to take some pictures :)

I'll right again soon.  All my love,
T

1 comment:

  1. Yayyy! So much going on. Doesn't look like they let you rest much yet :) Also, I'm going to need some audio for the Otjiherero

    ReplyDelete