Translate

Friday, January 25, 2013

Day Two of Teaching


I survived day two of teaching!  I think every single day I make it through will feel like an accomplishment.  Today, I only had English classes.  I am really enjoying my grade 7 and 8 learners, but I am having a hard time with my grade 6.  This class is actually small, but the students are so behind.  I tried to teach them about nouns today, but they were so lost.  It breaks my heart that they aren’t prepared for this grade, but I am hopeful that they will make great improvements throughout the year.  Yesterday, I talked to my subject head about the class and he informed me that it will be a challenge.  However, he made me feel better by reminding me that I don’t have fifth grade.  Supposedly if I did, I wouldn’t make it out alive.  Such a good feeling!

After school today, I went back to my room and prepared for my Friday classes.  Tomorrow I have grade 6 and 7 English, and also grade 8 and 9 Arts.  I am so excited for my first art class.  I was also able to watch some shows and pack for my trip into Opuwo.  I know I have only been here for a week, but the thought of being in town is keeping me going right now!  I need some girl time (if only all of my girls were gonna be there).  I need to share my school struggles and get suggestions.  I need to be around people that like to talk to me.  With that last statement, people do talk to me at Otjerunda.  I live with a sweet roommate who is interested in my life, is wiling to help, and has been there to help me transition into the African lifestyle.  My other colleagues have also been good. They have given me rides into town, helped with school stuff, and taken the time to ask me questions about America.  My only complaint is that when they talk as a group, it is usually in Otjiherero and I cant contribute and get to know them better.  This often leads to feeling lonely during my off periods, but hopefully with time I will be able to build deeper friendships and pick up on some of the language.

After lesson planning and secluding myself for my two hours, I decided to go for another run.  I have been trying to run to the hike point everyday and then back.  So far, it has been going well, and I usually have some company from my learners.   They are too funny!  Today though, my run was rough.  I went earlier, it was hot, and I had a lot on my mind, so I walked a good portion of it.  Afterwards though, the students saw me return.  I asked about four students if they wanted to go for a walk and they agreed.  As we were leaving school grounds though, I had 34 students with me!  It was a vision for sure.  All 35 of us ran, walked, and spoke in broken English.  It was a really cool moment, and exactly the reason that made me choose this country.

I know that God is taking care of me through this journey.  He never promised me it would be easy.  And honestly, how could it be?  But He is trying to keep me strong.  He is the one that keeps reminding me to get out and walk and “talk” with my learners, and I am thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment