Translate

Friday, January 25, 2013

Day One as Ms. Mac


Today was my first day of teaching.  Holy smokes am I overwhelmed!  Even though I barely taught today, I was already able to see how challenging this year will be.  Today, I met with grade 6, 7, 8A (two times) and 8B.  We went over class rules, I introduced myself, and then I had the students answer a quick writing prompt that they had to present.  It required them to share their name, what they hope to learn in English this year, what they want to get better at, and what they do for fun.  Most of the other teachers dove right in and started teaching lessons though.  That makes me feel like I am behind, but I have to keep reminding myself that I do not know the students the way they do and that I am at a disadvantage due to the language.  I have no idea what level these students are actually on.  Do they know what a noun is?  Do they know how to write a paragraph?  Are they able to express their own opinions?  The latter is something I really want to stress in my classroom.  I want my students to know that they have a say in the types of things we read and do.  There is no point in them being bored or confused.  Therefore, I am using these first three days of teaching to feel them out, to see what kinds of things they write or say.  It has helped in good and bad ways.

The great thing about going to classes today though was finally getting to learn more about some of the learners that live at the hostel.  I see the same kids around everyday, but do not know their names, or even what grade they are in.  Today helped to clarify some things.  It also helped some of the older boys to lose their macho attitude around me.  Now that I have interacted with them in the classroom they are greeting me more and making an effort to acknowledge me.  That has been a wonderful improvement.  Speaking of older boys, I found out today from my subject head that one of my 8th grade boys is probably older than me.  He is at least in his 20s, but they are not sure of his actual age.  When I responded to that comment, the other teachers were amazed that I am so young.  One of the jokesters informed me that I should be living at the hostel.  They’re sweet haha.  Funny thing is though, they are all only 26 and 27.  Clearly those five plus years make a huge difference here in Namibia.

Tomorrow I teach all of the same classes, but instead of two 8A classes, I have two grade 7 classes.  As for Friday, I have three art classes and only 6th and 7th grade English.  I am already eager for the weekend.  I am eager to plan with Ashley and Maillin, eager to go to Opuwo and take a hot shower, and eager to speak an advanced English sentence.  Oh the little things!

Keep praying my dearest friends.  Pray that I learn to speak slower with my learners.  Pray that I am able to push through all of the hard times this country brings.  Pray I do not lose site of how beautiful this country is.  Pray for my learners.  Pray that they are eager to learn.  Pray that their little hearts are not hardened by the things they know they do not have.  Pray that they will feel love in their lives and that they would find their safety in God.

P.S. Today a girl wrote in her exercise book…

“In English, I hope to learn to sing songs about God.  For fun, I like to sing songs of God.”  Oh bless her soul!  How beautiful are those words!  It is so nice to see God in these schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment