Translate

Friday, March 22, 2013

Change to Come


This week is crazy, but before I say too much, I want to say thank you for all of the sweet words and endless encouragement people have sent my way after last weekend’s blog.  Things have sort of improved since then, and will hopefully continue to in the future.  With that being said, let me fill you in on this week’s happenings:

For starters, this week was a four-day workweek!  Gosh, I love those.  They are absolutely beautiful.  However, with so many grades that I still need to get, it also reminded me of how much is left to do.  In this four-day week though, my Field Director finally came to visit my site.  I was spoiled with him here because he so graciously cooked a delicious dinner for me (I can’t cook…duh) and I was provided a guest for the first time.  While he was here, we discussed all of the situations I have currently been facing with my house conditions and some of my learners.  He spoke with my principal on the matters, observed one of my classes, and then provided me with feedback on both.  As for my teaching, he provided me with a couple compliments that made me feel like I could continue to teach even after Namibia.  He also gave me some great positive feedback on things to improve and suggested a couple volunteers to speak to about getting additional help in certain areas.  I look forward to collaborating with them via email and during our mid-service orientation.  In regards to my living, things are going to change…Hallelujah!  The principal has contacted the Ministry of Works and hopefully within the next couple of weeks I will have a working toilet, bathroom sink, and new windows.  He will then get learners into the house to scrub the crap out of it and make it a little bit cleaner.  So that is a huge blessing.  We are also going to try and reduce the number of students coming in and out of the house.  Fingers crossed and many prayers said.  I have also taken my own initiative to reducing the students that come to my room throughout the day and have put up a sign with some rules and hours.  This isn’t exactly something I wanted to do, but for my own sanity, it is the best way to avoid playing babysitter, best friend, and mother.  I want to continue to be seen as the teacher (jefrou) and continue to receive some respect.  Yes, I want to socialize and know my students, but I feel the time should be limited a little more.

On top of all of those happenings, Wednesday was payday!  However, I still haven’t been paid. Womp womp… Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I will have three checks in my hands.  With payday though came a visit to town.  I rode in with Bret and a couple of my teachers.  We took care of some work matters, got lunch, and then I ran some errands.  I then met up with some learners and a teacher at the hike spot and patiently waited in the heat for someone heading to Otjerunda.  My coworker and I finally got a ride and got dropped off at one of the kuku shops by the hike spot in the village.  There, one of my sweet older coworkers (My Namibian meme) was screaming “Ms. Mac come back,” so I walked to her and she showed me her tent that she sets up to get away from the students.   We talked, drank culis (cold drinks aka sprite), and I learned some more Otjiherero.  Ja za arikana (leave me alone please).  I’m not sure if that is spelled correctly.  After almost 2 hours, my teacher told me she had some goat and wanted to braii for me.  Of course I said yes because I want to know as much about the culture as possible.  So, we quickly brought our stuff to the school and went back to the kuku shop to eat our meat.  The goat was a little overcooked and some pieces were a little furry, but overall it was decent.  Not something I would need every night, but a very nice gesture.  Throughout the night, we talked more, and then another teacher I am good friends with showed up to drive me home.

Thursday was my day off.  It was Independence Day in Namibia, and we surely celebrated this country’s independence.  You know how?  With marking and grading and all things fun!  But in all seriousness, I also attended a talent show at the school.  Each grade did a performance and some individual students got groups together to sing and dance, etc.  It was very entertaining and I have several pictures to share.  You can see my pictures by clicking the link below:


Well, only one blog for this week, unless some words or excitement are presented to me this weekend.  Next weekend is Easter though, which is the first time I will not be with my family for a big holiday.  However, I will be in Swakopmund with the other volunteers and I honestly couldn’t have asked for a better group to replace my family on such an important day.  Expect stories, pictures, and ramblings about how good our God is and how sweet these girls are.

No comments:

Post a Comment