Translate

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Crazy Week


This week has been crazy busy.  Crazy busy with schoolwork.  Crazy busy with life.  Crazy busy with planning ahead.  Basically, it has just been crazy.  With that said, I have so much to do, but I know some people (Mom, Amanda) look forward to my weekly ramblings and I did not want to disappoint by only having one blog, so here goes a bullet list of what’s happening in my Namibian life.

·      I am on hostel duty this week.  At first, I was overwhelmed with these duties and markings, but then one teacher told me that I don’t need to take it seriously because it’s not in my job description to monitor.  I only need to help.  Therefore, I volunteered to wake the learners at 5:30 am.  WHY?  If you know me, you know I am the farthest thing from a morning person.
·      Jason Aldean has been playing on repeat this week.  I am so glad I am here, but as mentioned before, there are things I long for at home and Mr. Aldean helps to take me home for a bit.   Here’s a short list of things I’m missing:
o   My family/friends
o   Fabian
o   Yoga
o   Healthy food
·      I was supposed to stay in my village this weekend, but since we have no food for the learners they are going home.  Therefore, I am going to Oshakati to celebrate Kristin and Abby’s birthdays.  Shout out to my Kati girls!  Yay for Namibz birthdays and being old J
·      I was in the teacher’s office today (Wednesday) and guess what band started playing through the speakers?  Backstreet Boys.  That’s right!  Take me back to my elementary school days.
·      Another office story.  On Tuesday, I was in the office doing work and a couple of my grade 5 learners were in there.  The 2 girls were seriously so fascinated by me.  They were touching my hair, touching my skin because it would turn white from my sunburn and then back to red, and they were staring at my feet.  Oh my gosh, it was like I was a new toy.
·      Also, last Sunday, I baked cookies for some of the other teachers.  I also had three of the female teachers, one being my roommate, over for a movie.  They chose Crazy Stupid Love.  For the most part, they understood it and seemed to enjoy it.  Afterwards, I showed them more pictures of my life back home.  This led to us talking about men.  I have definitely taken for granted the Southern men that I am surrounded by.  Their kind hearts, their charm, and their ruggedness that is oh so attractive.  These ladies reiterated all things that I have already heard about Namibian men, but basically, they all told me that being single is the way to be here.  Men to them are no good; in fact, the word used was dogs.  This broke my heart a little bit, especially since some are married and or in relationships.  However, it helped me to take a step back and appreciate my potential future relationships back home.
·      I did laundry again (aka, I had help doing my laundry) and of course, it rained during the drying process.  So, my room is filled with wet clothes.  Thanks Mom and Dad for that bungee clothesline.
·      I am finally starting to laugh with the Namibians.  I know that sounds weird, but with the language barrier, things have not been funny for all of us at the same time.  However, we are starting to appreciate each others humor and I have experienced true laughter.  The first came from one of my male teachers.  Here’s how it played out...(scene: Netball game)
o   Teacher: Ms. Mac, do you play netball at home?
o   Me: No, we don’t have netball.  I never heard of it before coming here.
o   Teacher: Oh wow. You all are WAY behind!
·      Lastly, my grade 5 has been doing so well!  In fact, all of my classes have been going really well.  Thursday we have tests again, so I will update on this thought after that.

With all of that being said, it is so easy to get caught up in the struggles, the loneliness, and the work that I am constantly bombarded with, but as I write this and think of how far I have come, how far my learners have come, I get a little choked up.  We still have so much to do, but they are genuinely becoming interested in learning.  They are paying attention, doing more homework, and asking questions.  Oh my heart is happy.  My God is good!

1 comment:

  1. 2 is not an acceptable blog number for a week... You're slacking!! :) Have fun in Oshakati this weekend!

    ReplyDelete