Translate

Friday, March 1, 2013

Hostel Plans


As mentioned in a prior post, I am slowly working towards my in country project.  Some of you may have heard or read about my plans, but I will give a quick update.  At Otjerunda, my learners do not have the proper living arrangements (heck, they don’t even have the right classroom arrangements).  They are sharing beds, sleeping in ways Americans cannot even fathom, and living inside four aluminum walls.  With that being said, my goal is to raise enough money to get at least one new sleeping hostel funded while I am here.  I have received a gracious donation from my church family, and the school is trying to get in contact with businessmen and companies within country.  I am slowly in the process of figuring out expenses, since it will differ depending on who does the building.  I could share my own stories about the situations, but as promised, I have a letter from a learner that will shed more light on how they are living.  I have also included the official letter that will be sent to businesses in the country. 

If you feel called to donate to this cause, whether it is $5, $500, or sweet prayers to our Savior, I want you to know that your gifts will not go unnoticed.  Every single word of encouragement, dollar, and prayer has already influenced my time spent in this country.  If again you feel called, please make a check out to me and send it to my parents to cash and keep track of.

To end with some words of wisdom, I give you Mumford and Sons:
“Do not let my fickle flesh go to waste, as it keeps my heart and soul in its place.  I will love with urgency but not with haste.”

Letter from an 8A Learner (a topic done in class and finished for homework):

To Whom It May Concern:

I am an 8A learner at Otjerunda Combined School.  My name is Uno-Boy.  I am writing to discuss the needs of my school.  In school, we do not have enough food for all of the learners.  We eat only yellow porridge without sugar, salt, cooking oil, one to three times a day.

Also, our hostels are not in good condition.  Our hostel is too small and we are missing bedding, which means we are sleeping on the floor or sharing beds.  There is also not enough storage.  They are all broken.

We need new toilets right now.  The toilets are full.  They do not flush, and we have these toilets for all of the learners (about 400 students).

We are also lacking a kitchen and pots to cook in.  We need a dining hall and plates from the government.

Sincerely,
Uno-Boy





Letter sent to companies within country:

To Whom It May Concern:

We are writing in regards to the condition of the hostels at Otjerunda Combined School.  Currently, we are housing more than 400 students, 196 male learners and 224 female learners.  The current state of our facility is less than desirable and is preventing our learners from receiving the education they deserve, due to the fact that they are not resting to their best potential.

Currently at Otjerunda CS, we have one concrete female hostel and two aluminum hostels, as seen in the pictures.  The girls are sleeping two to three to a bed, and others do not even have mattresses.  As for our male hostels, we have one concrete fixture and one aluminum one (i.e. see pictures).  Like our girls, the boys are also sleeping more than one to a bed.

With the above mentioned, we the staff and teachers at Otjerunda CS, are asking for any help and assistance that may be feasible.  Every contribution is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Otjerunda Combined School Staff



1 comment:

  1. I grow prouder of you with every day you are away and can only imagine what it is like to actually be there in those conditions. You know you are covered in prayer by countless people across the U.S. but we need to add financial support to those prayers. I will work on my end to find assistance and donations and will investigate how to even send items if it is within reasonable cost. You are an amazing witness for the love of God and the grace of Jesus Christ! Do not grow weary, Tay. Jesus will guide and sustain you and He will bless your efforts! Love, Aunt Lee

    ReplyDelete