Translate

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Growing Change

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” 
― Leo Tolstoy

With every new school, new city, new country that I have moved to, I always face the same issues of change.  I am a person that strongly believes in change.   I believe it does a body and soul good to uproot yourself and try different things.  Things that are not always easy.  Not always fun.  Not always rewarding.  I believe that in the end, these changes are worthwhile, and sometimes they aren't as difficult as you believe they may be.  However, it is always hard for me to initiate these changes.  I know what to do, I know the outcomes and the happiness I feel when I push myself to do something that is different for me and new, but this evil spirit has a way of always telling me to stay put, to stay safe and comfortable.  The thing is though, I did not sign up for comfortable.  Yes, sometimes it is allowed, but never in my life do I want to avoid doing something because it may lead to me being uncomfortable.

With these insane ramblings finished, I want to give one last update on Oshikango stuff and my new village.  I am not sure what my Internet ability will be like for the rest of this year, but I'm assuming that I can at least come to this lodge every so often and pay for wifi.

Yesterday, I arrived in Oshikango.  It is night and day when you compare it to Opuwo.  Opuwo is nice because it is slow paced and small, but Oshikango has the hustle and bustle of life that I love after so many months of seclusion.  I can feel the people living around me.  The open markets are inviting me in, and I am eager to explore them on the weekends.  Already I can see a difference between the different Namibian tribes.  The Oshiwambos have this openness, these caring hearts.  Let me prove that to you with a quick story....
 
Yesterday when we arrived, my parents and I drove out to Odibo to meet my principal and see the school.  It is only about 5k from Oshikango, and the whole way there, you are surrounded by actual village life.  Food stands, people sitting outside, bars, etc.  (EEK!  My heart is happy.)  As we arrive at the school, after going past a missional school/guesthouse that I will be staying in for the rest of the week, I am greeted by Mrs. Olga, my principal.  She sweetly tells my mother how young she is and that she wasn't sure which one of us was the volunteer.  Oh my mom's heart was happy after that haha.  From there, she showed us the school.  It is much nicer than OCS #1 and she told me that she was not sure what I would be teaching, but that she really wants me to start a club.  My current club thoughts are something geography related or career based so that the students know what all they can achieve to be.  After seeing the school, we followed my principal out of the village and back into town.  She took us to the grocery store and sweetly bought my parents all kinds of cool drinks and bananas for their long drive back to Opuwo.  She wanted to make sure that they were taken care of, and informed them that she would keep an eye on their daughter.  Last night around 7, she called me to wish me a good sleep and safety.  Is that not the sweetest thing ever?

So if this is not an indication of what term 2 and 3 will look like, I am not sure what is, but she is making me feel safe and welcomed already, which is all I can ask for.  Now to push through those nasty voices that tell me to stay inside, not to socialize, and to stay comfortable!!  I ask for your prayers during these new changes.  I ask that you pray for my strength to change myself and to put myself in situations that are not always warm and fuzzy.

All my love,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment