Translate

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Struggles


Since it is my first year to teach and I have never taken a class in education, I am not sure what is exactly normal.  Also, I don’t know what is normal for a teacher in a foreign country.  This makes the first year of teaching hard, incredibly hard!  I would say that at least once a week, I wonder what I’m doing.  How did I become a teacher?  Are my learners getting anything out of me being here?  Am I failing miserably?  I hate feeling this way, but I can’t seem to shake all of the questions.  I mean, what if all of my learners fail their tests at the end of the year?  What if none of them are actually improving or learning?  I am struggling, or as Namibians say, I am suffering because I am trying to follow the WorldTeach Manual, the textbook, the directions I was given from the MOE, and trying to take into consideration the level of my learners.  I am still so confused on testing too.  How am I supposed to get 10 to 12 CASS mark grades and still give real tests that evaluate what they are learning?  The kids would be taking a test every other day if I did that!

Well, that’s all I needed to say.  There are currently no answers to these questions, but I felt I needed to share some of my frustrations and struggles with the rest of you.  If you are a teacher, and/or know a teacher, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Some learn visually, some by hearing, some by both. Assess each one's learning style to reach them better. Never doubt you are doing good...the textbook is NOT the only thing you are there to teach!! The students learn from your every word, your every move, your every interaction. It has been less than 2 months...cut yourself some slack. Try word games, puzzles, Jeopardy style activities, flash cards...be creative with the material. Fidelity of the curriculum may need to give way to adaptability of the material so that better learning with measurable results occurs. Do not worry about the age of the student if you make something very simplistic. K-I-S-S...Keep It Simple Silly! Trust your gut instinct...that's the Holy Spirit guiding you, Sweetheart!!
    YOU ARE LOVED! Aunt Lee

    ReplyDelete