Translate

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A day being "married"

A glimpse into my Friday:

We have End of Service in Tsumeb this weekend, which means transportation is arranged for us.  However, instead of getting picked up in the village or at a building, I was told to meet on the side of the B1 (the main road going from Oshikango) in order to meet three of the other volunteers and the Ministry of Education transportation. 

Before getting there, I knew how this would play out.  Taxi drivers would want me to ride with them.  People passing by would want to talk.  A few proposals of love/friendship/marriage would take place.  Just so you know, Namibia DOES NOT DISAPPOINT!  I received all of the above.

In a matter of two minutes, two people had already asked for my number, cat called me, and inquired about what the heck I was doing on the side of the road.  The number continued to increase as the minutes did.  So that you understand how all of this played out, let me share with you a conversation that took place.  I want all of y’all to partake in the fun that I call transport in Namibz!

Man in nice bakkie (truck): Hello, sister.  How are you?

Me: I’m fine.

Man: Where are you going? Do you work here?

Me: I’m going to Tsumeb for work.  I teach in Odibo.  (Before you all freak out that I gave out personal information, this is Namibia it aint no thang).

Man: Ok, I will come visit you in Odibo some day (drives away).

5 minutes pass.  The man in the nice bakkie returns.

Man: (rolls down window) So, is it ok if I come visit you in Odibo?

Me: (eye roll, why are you back?) Ummm no.

Man: Why?

Me: I’m married (Flash ring given to me for graduation- Thanks, Mom and Dad).

Man: Oh, oh. I’m so sorry.  I actually respect that (first man to say that to me here).  Where is your husband?

Me: At home.

Man: Oh, not good.  

Me: It's only for two more months.

Man: Ok, well have a nice day then.

End scene.

Being fake married has never been so rewarding.  My fake husband has come in handy in several different situations since living here.  He has protected me and helped me in awkward or uncomfortable situations, but before y’all think I go around telling everyone I’m married, it is only done in times when I can’t handle the obnoxious proposals.  All of my coworkers, students, and my favorite taxi driver know that I’m unattached.


No comments:

Post a Comment