Translate

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Doctor, Doctor give me some news

I’ve been having some medical issues ever since my last holiday.  I could probably blame it on a lot of things: the heat, lack of clean water, or never knowing when or if I am ingesting gluten.  The thing is, and many people may know this already, I am a little skeptical of doctors.  After having spent hours, days, and years going from doctor to doctor about brain tumors, chronic headaches, and gluten intolerance, I’ve heard and seen a lot.  I’ve even experienced my fair share of types of doctors: neurologist, neurosurgeons, orthopedists, plastic surgeons, and holistic doctors.  To sum it all up, I’ve spent a lot of time in medical facilities, which has led me to only go when I feel things are very serious.

Fast forward to the present date.  I’m currently facing some nausea and other intestinal problems, which at home I would just brush off and continue on with my day.  Here however, it is harder to ignore because of lack of cleanliness, air conditioned relaxation, and over the counter medicines.  There has been this silly thought of “oh my gosh, I’m gonna die before I get home” continuously playing in my head.  Dramatic, of course, but I live alone 75% of the time!  Therefore, I had to finally take action.


After missing work on Monday and still feeling a little “weird” throughout the week, I decided to head to Ongwediva to meet with a doctor.  Another volunteer who also does not have running water contracted a parasite, so I wanted to get that checked out before it was too late.  When I arrived in Diva, I waited a nice two hours at the doctor.  I’m still not 100% sure how the system works since it was first come first serve, but people were definitely going in before me that were not there before me.  Either way, when I finally met with the doctor, my skepticism flared up more than usual.  As far as doctors go, he was nice and comforting, but he was lacking a sort of assertiveness in his position.  The doctor sat behind his nice desk, asked me questions, and I shared my concerns…yes, self-diagnosing myself, which is every medical professional’s favorite thing.  This doctor did not seem to mind though because he gave me a thermometer and then filled out lab work for me to complete for exactly what I told him I thought could be wrong.  FYI over share: some nice blood work and a stool sample…GREAT I thought, I just took something to make me stop going!  Needless to say, I will be making a trip back on Tuesday because some things did not go according to plan.  Hopefully the lab results come back quickly and then everything goes well from there.  With this constant sauna surrounding me, feeling sick or under the weather is far from enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment