Translate

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Penny for your (Thursday) Thoughts?

Ok, so this isn’t really thoughts so much as some simple updates on the shenanigans that have been happening this week.  Basically, Namibia is getting hotter and hotter each and every day.  Don’t ever let me complain about Texas heat again.  So that you understand, let me paint you a picture… Imagine a hot, Texas summer day.  I’m talking in the 100s.  The humidity is lower, but the sun is beating down with some of the strongest rays in the world.  Now subtract the air conditioning in your house, car, shops, etc. that you eagerly run to in order to escape the dreadful sauna you are constantly walking in.  That is Namibian life…  I’m honestly still amazed that I continue to stay fully clothed, because let’s face it, naked is the way to go.  My students have been suffering due to the heat, and since they have such strict uniform rules, they are doing as much as possible to stay cool without getting in trouble, like unbuttoning their shirts below their chest bone whenever a teacher isn't around.  That gem came from my homestead brother’s brother.  A Namibian Rico Suave.

Either way, this week we have had a couple rainy nights, which has been so nice.  I’m talking loud, rolling thunder accompanied by lightning.  Unfortunately, when it pours, some water does get in the house, but that’s ok.  The land needs it, as do the families in the community.  With my tin roof, it gets super loud and it’s like the whole rain experience is heightened.  Sadly, rain means more bugs in the house.  Last night, I had a war with some June bugs because they would not stop swarming my head as I was trying to get to sleep.  Picture this: crazy, spastic girl sitting in her bed on the phone as bugs dart past her.  All of a sudden, the bug is in her shirt, trapped in her bosom area.  Squeals were made for sure. 

In other news, we officially started booking stuff for our South Africa trip in December.  Can we say surreal?  I can’t even believe that this chapter of my life is almost over.  Speaking of almost over, I have never felt something so incredibly bittersweet in my life.  As much as I am excited to get back home, see all of y’all, and do random things, I can’t even imagine saying goodbye to these students.  They always say that when you go somewhere, you end up getting more than you give, and this experience is no exception.  These kids have given me so much!  Words cannot even begin to explain it all.  The tears will be rolling on the last day with them.  Just thinking about it makes my heart ache.  Expect a somewhat depressed Taylor and an overload of African stories from this girl for the first month after I return.

Lastly, I was walking to school today, a small boy, probably around 2, was pooping outside.  His father, being the good father that he is, was monitoring and making sure he had the proper squat stance.  Only here!


No comments:

Post a Comment