Translate

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Michael Immanuel

In July, I introduced you to one of my students in an entry called A Learner's Dedication.  Today, I want to dig deeper and share more details on this student, Michael.

Michael on the left posing for some iPhone shots
As Michael sits in the back of the class, he towers over all of the other learners.  At about 6 feet tall, Michael doesn’t just surpass most of the students in height though; he also surpasses them in age.  At 21 years old, Michael is one of my oldest 9th grade students. 

From the start of term 2, I knew that Michael was going to excel in my class, but I did not know how deeply he would affect my life.  I do not like to admit that I have favorite students, but if I am honest, I do, and Michael is one of them.  Since arriving at Odibo CS, Michael has gone above and beyond to assist me in class, better his education, and inquire about the world.  On a daily basis, Michael greets me and asks how the morning is.  If I ever need a helping hand, I know that I can trust him to get the job done.  On top of that, he respects me as a teacher even though I am only 2 years older than him.

At the start of the year, I was curious as to why Michael was so much older than the other students.  I know that several students are close in age, and many have failed different grades throughout their schooling.  However, I knew that this could not be possible for Michael.  Something about his work ethic and mannerisms allowed me to know that he indeed had not failed school.  As time has passed, I have gotten closer with Michael and have been exposed to more and more of his story.  Through a scholarship that my parents have put together, I was able to get a more detailed story on Michael’s education.  Below is a revised essay that he submitted and has given me permission to share.  I have added in some information in order to clarify some details:

…………………………
I was born in 1992, but I started school late.  2004 is when I started school; I was twelve years old.  It was very shameful for me to start school so late because I was too old to be in grade one.  This was not my own fault, but happened because my parents failed to take me to school earlier due to their own lack of education.  They are both illiterate.

One day though, my uncle asked my parents if it was possible for him to take me to his house in order to go to school there.  My father agreed, so I moved.  For almost seven years, I was schooling there, but in 2011, the situation between my uncle’s wife and me was not always good.  I moved to Odibo to stay at my father’s house.  I have never failed a grade in my life, but unfortunately I missed one grade in 2011 because I was enrolled in a private school that was too expensive for my family and me.  I was chased out in February 2011 because my father could not afford to pay the fee.

Since 2011, I have not been helped by either of my parents.  When I restarted my schooling in 2012, last year, I had to pay for my own school fees, school uniform, and school materials by myself.  Since I am older, my parents believe that I am old enough to fight for my own life and needs.
…………………………

Michael went on to explain that he comes from a family of nine kids, many of which have different mothers, and since he is the first-born, he has to take care of himself.


Knowing Michael’s personality and story, I felt moved to share it with all of y’all.  At 21, Michael has not given up on his education, but instead continues to push himself more and more each day.  Instead of having a bad attitude about being too old for class, he acts as a leader for the younger students, constantly showing them what it means to respect others and to persevere.  Hear it from me, his English teacher; Michael will become someone in his life!  He will better his circumstances, support his family, and do great things.  There is no doubt in my mind that Michael will excel.  With a brain as inquisitive as his, a heart as large, and a dedication as strong, he will do amazing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment