Translate

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Beach Bums, Bruised Bums





So since it is so flippen hot in Rome right now, I am having a very hard time concentrating on my speech about adoption that I have to do on Thursday. With that being said, I thought this would be a perfect time to actually sit down and tell y'all about my amazing weekend in the Amalfi Coast!! I'm gonna break it down day by day so that it's easier to follow :) The pictures above are of me jumping off a cliff, the Capri view, & the blue grotto.

Thursday: Ok so on Thursday we (Hennah, Paulina, & I) were supposed to meet at the train station at 5pm to head to the Amalfi Coast, but the company pushed our time back to 11pm. With all this free time, we spent our day shopping all over Rome. I was able to get a lot of souvenirs for the family & am now officially done buying for the parents, Amanda, & Spark plug. At 9pm, we headed to the bus to get to the train station. Getting there early, we grabbed a second dinner because as most of you know, I like my food! We then met up with the tour guide where we met another group of students from Rome. There was about 8 or 9 of them and they all go to Penn State!! Crazy :)  They are all seriously so sweet & we plan on hanging out with them more now that we're back in Rome.

Getting on the bus, we were greeted by the students that were traveling from Firenze. Most of the students studying in Florence were from Jersey & then there was one from Brasil. With 4 hrs of driving to the coast, I spent my time sleeping & at 3am we arrived at 7 Hostels in Sorrento. The hostel was super gorgeous & not the typical sketchy hostel you hear about in movies,etc.

Friday: With Friday coming after only 4 hrs in a bed, we got up and headed off to Capri!! Capri was the only place in Italy that I had a strong desire to go to, so I was very excited for this day.

To get to Carpi, we had to take a ferry. We could see all of the Italian houses & it was nice to catch some wind. On the ferry, we stopped first at the blue grotto. I don't have the most technical definition to explain the blue grotto, so the picture above will explain it the clearest. The grotto is cave like & you have to take a small boat of 4 inside. The boat drivers get you into the cave, paddle you around for like 5 minutes, & then take you back out to the ferry. It was an amazing experience & although it is a little pricey for 5ish minutes, it is worth seeing once!

After the blue grotto, we finally made it to the Island of Capri!!! Here we walked uphill for about 40 minutes to get to the shops & restaurants. The view was crazy & it was incredibly hot! However, every minute was worth it! Up near the shops, we saw sandal shops where you could hand pick your own sandals, taste limoncello, & eat some amazing seafood. After this, we spent the last 2-3 hours on the beach. Our Rome group joined with the other group, getting to know each other better. The night ended with a restaurant in Sorrento & an English Pub/Club.

Saturday: On Saturday we were off to Positano! It's amazing how the views & the scenery kept getting prettier! God was everywhere here & I truly believe that the ocean is one of the greatest gifts he has ever given to me! I am so content & at peace in the water.

In Positano, our whole day was spent on the beaches & then shopping for a few hours. We stayed on the public beach for the first half of the day & then took a boat tour over to a more secluded piece of beach. Here we went cliff jumping! I had agreed to do the 35ft cliff with a couple of the guys & was determined to not back down...so I didn't! However, I have bruises all down my legs for hitting the water so hard. The wind & girls that aren't solid muscle don't mix well together, but it was totally worth it! While we were at this secluded beach at least 3 of our people got stung by jelly fish & being completely comfortable with everyone after a day, people were peeing on each other to get rid of the pain.

At night, we had dinner & drinks at the hostel on the terrace rooftop. The view was beautiful & it was relaxing to stay in for the night.

Sunday: Sunday was the last day of this amazing adventure! I was seriously so sad to leave these people that I had known for like 2 days haha. Before heading home, we stopped off in Pompeii. I didn't actually go into the ruins because I felt like I had spent too much money already this weekend so instead, we stayed outside & spent MORE money! It's funny how that works out haha. But at least I was able to get Amanda's gift here & a pretty ring for myself.

At 4ish, we headed back to Rome where we said goodbye to our new Brasilian friend & caught the 64 bus back with our new Roman friends. Later that night, we went to Karaoke at Scholar's and had a blast!!

As for this week, the weekend can't come soon enough! I am already ready for a break from school & the heat :) I will write more later in the week. I miss all of y'all!

Ti amo,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment