Translate

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Homestead Homes

My first week of teaching in Odibo is over and I officially have a house!  This week started off with a lot of questions.  As of Monday, my principal was still unsure of where I was going to live, but by the end of the day, we finally had a taker.  A family close to the school agreed to let me stay with them.  Although I am technically living on a small homestead, I have my own section.  I am staying at “Doctor’s” house.  Doctor, my roommate, is a teacher in a different village and only comes home on weekends (not always).  I met him for the first time today when he came in and gave me some information about the house, family, village, etc.  He was quickly off to Ongwediva though.  So far, a great impression and he is being incredibly kind letting me take over his space.  In fact, everyone at the homestead has been incredibly kind.  There are two students who live here.  One is in 7B and the other is in 8C.  They have been taking care of me all week and I am so grateful for that.  The sweet girl washed my clothes and we went to get a cool drink the other day.  Doctor told me she is an orphan in the family, so they have taken her in.  The boy has been supplying me with water and helping with any manly work that needs to be done.  He has such a great outlook and has been so upbeat and supportive during this process. So in addition to that news, let me quickly catch you up on the exciting, entertaining things happening in Odibo.  Here is a brief list:


  • ·     One of my teachers was jammin out to Dolly Parton the other day <3 span="">
  • ·      Roosters are annoying and wake up around 4am.
  • ·      My house currently has no running water so I am mastering the bucket bath and the grunge look.
  • ·       This week I typed this message to my mom and realized that my English is awful in Namibia... “even if I don’t like doing the yoga always it makes me happier”
  • ·      We have a puppy named Diva on my homestead.
  • ·      My house is pink!
  • ·      I am attempting two a days in the workout world…fingers crossed.
  • ·      I really like my 9A class.
  • ·      Grade 7 is so sweet and keeps asking me to come to their class whenever they have an off period.
  • ·      My old secretary called this week to see how I am adjusting and to let me know the students miss me.  So sweet!
  • ·      I am going to go to church again tomorrow with the St. Mary’s students.


Today marks the start of my sixth month in Namibia, and although I am eager to see home again, I am trying to take Abby’s advice and remember how much I will want a new adventure once I am home.  Not many people have this opportunity to live in Africa, so I need to soak it all in while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment