Translate

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Light

Well, village life is hard, I think that is a given no matter what village you are living in.  In some way or not, you are alone.  Yes, people are constantly surrounding you or are in the community, but in a way, you are the black sheep in the crowd.  You are the one that is different than others.  Not just because of nationality or color, but because of simple things like not knowing where to find a taxi, not knowing what time things close, or not knowing who to go to when the water goes out.  It is trying and challenging, but somewhere in these difficult days (mainly weekends), a sliver of light appears and continues to grow throughout the hours that pass.  You find ways to be productive.  You push yourself to do things that may not sound that fun (i.e. working out, laundry, etc.).  You rely on friends for advice on how to keep busy.  You create a routine and plan for exciting dates to come.


My sliver of light has come in different ways these past two weeks.  The obvious ones exist like talking to my mom, reading a good book, or watching a show that makes me feel like I am one of the friends, but slivers have emerged in different ways too.  For example, cooking a dinner that I actually think is quite tasty.  Relaxing while doing yoga.  Drinking decaf coffee, even if it is black (no soy milk in Oshikango).  Going to church in ENGLISH super early in the morning and being greeted by the sweetest 12th graders.  These small things have given me a sense of pride and joy that I am tightly holding on to.  I know things will be good here.  I know that God has not forsaken me.  I know that if I continue to push, I will become a part of this community and actually miss Namibia when I go home.  I know that this year will have all been worth it.

1 comment:

  1. You are a very strong young lady and I don't even know you but I am weak and would have given up.
    I hope you are proud of yourself and your accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete