Translate

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Matilda


Today, I tried to read Matilda with my grade 7 BIS class.  I thought this would be fun because the students have no exposure to library books and fun novels.  Yes, some of the words were too hard, and it’s difficult to follow a book when the teacher is reading it to you, but when I was a kid, I loved that part of my day.  In 4th grade, the teacher would have reading time every day after recess.  I longed for that.  Longed for those stories that I had never heard.  Junie B. Jones was like a childhood friend.  This however, did not happen in Namibia.  The kids did not like it.  They did not want to hear the story or follow along.  In fact, they voted to not read the story.  At this point, I wish I didn’t give them that option.  I wish I wasn’t trying to be accommodating because instead, they chose news articles and topics that are not fun or pertinent to their lives.  My spirits were a little crushed by this.  I want them to understand not only the importance of reading stories, but also the beauty!  The book world has so much to offer us.  It helps us to be better writers, readers, listeners, and speakers.  In addition, it takes us to places we may never get to go.  So here’s my question to all of my teachers out there that have more experience.  Do I ignore their requests and continue to read the book because I think it is better for them, or do I let them read the articles from the Internet that are not as easy to find and are not on their level?  Thoughts?  Advice?  I need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment