Translate

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Kati


This weekend I packed up my things, said a brief goodbye to the lovely Otjerunda, and headed on my way to Oshakati to celebrate February birthdays.  Traveling in Namibia is unlike anything I have ever done before, and I will not lie, every time I manage to find a hike or successfully arrive somewhere new, I feel proud of myself and alive inside.  This weekend was no exception; in fact, it probably hit my travel highs.  On Friday, I finished classes at 11:30.  Another teacher, one of the primary teachers, has family near Oshakati, so she had already arranged a ride with someone she knew.  Luckily, I was able to tag along.  For an hour and a half, I rode in style.  A nice Corrolla, air con, and good American music.  In Okahao (sp) though, that changed.  This was the midway marker, and my new hike spot to get into Oshakati.  The driver arranged a ride for me, putting me in a car with 4 other gentlemen.  The car was beat up and looked like it may not make it very far, but it held on.  I arrived in Oshakati around 2:30, or as the Namibians say, 14:30.

Once in town, I met up with Kristin and we did some shopping, because what else do girls do besides buy food and look at fancy things they can’t commute home?  As time passed, we met up with Mariella, Erika, Emily, and Abby.  From there, we hiked to Omungwelume.  Even though we only spent a week there during orientation, it seriously felt like we were going home.  It was a great feeling, but made me long for my real family even more.  In Omungwelume, we celebrated birthdays, caught up on life, ate too much, and enjoyed one another’s company.  It was so great to be with everyone again and to hear how things had changed/improved in the past couple weeks.

The following day, I headed to Emily’s house in Emono.  That girl is living the life, and I can’t even be mad at her since she is such a great friend.  While there, the three of us (Kristin, Emily, me) wondered around town, visited Emily’s school, watched TV, made dinner, and baked cookies.  It was the perfect evening, filled with relaxation, getting to know each other more, country music, and Southern familiarity.

All fun must come to an end though (extreme, yes).  On Sunday morning, I SMSed my new Combi driver friend and found out what time he would be leaving.  Close to 10am, I loaded myself into the bus, got out my Kindle, and prepared for the 3-hour drive home.  The ride went smoothly, and I was able to read and nap.  Overall, the weekend left me feeling rejuvenated!  It allowed me to analyze certain situations and figure out the best way to handle things in my region.  It also gave me more confidence to get hikes in Opuwo.  I cannot say it enough, but I am seriously so blessed to know these girls!  Each one is unique and beautiful in their own way.

1 comment:

  1. God places the "solitary" in "families." Sounds like that they are your "Namibian family" and place of joy and sharing!
    Aunt Lee

    ReplyDelete