Translate

Friday, February 15, 2013

MoE


Crazy things are happening this week!  For starters, the Ministry of Education has been at our school since Monday.  They are evaluating the teaching skills, looking over the school, and doing other official ministry things.  Every one of them has been incredibly kind.  Their English is so advanced and I have been able to ask questions about things that I was unable to ask prior to their visit.  The one crazy thing that happened though, was that one of the ladies wanted me to no longer teach English, but to switch to BIS in order for the whole school to be exposed to my English.  I was ok with this, minus the fact that I need at least one English class to get my TEFL credit.  Luckily, on Tuesday, she monitored my 8A class and was surprised and pleased with what she saw.  The learners were responsive and they were able to answer questions.  After that, she suggested that I stay in English and maybe switch Arts to BIS.  All of that is still up in the air, so we will see what happens. (Since writing this, I have now been asked to teach 5th grade English instead of 6th.  Again, we will see what happens.)

As for other news, I received my first piece of snail mail!  It was from my Field Director, which was really nice of him, and now, I know that I am officially capable of getting mail.  Heads up for those that send something, it seems to take a LONG time!  I mailed a postcard to my parents the 2nd week of being in Namibia and it just arrived last Saturday.    Another interesting fact, hot tea can be made at 1pm without even boiling water!   During this time of day, the pipes are so hot from the sun, that the water is actually steaming hot!!  This is good to remember in the winter because I don’t know how or where I will be able to set up my solar shower, and there’s no way that I am taking cold showers in cold weather!  Not happening.

This weekend, I am planning to stay in Otjerunda at night.  I will go into town on Friday to get groceries, a new watch, and do some work (aka emails, blog, Facebook, and pictures), but then I will go home to sleep.  I will also spend the day in town on Saturday doing more relaxing things, but again, I won’t stay the night.  I am hoping that this helps me to get over my Sunday blues and shows my other teachers that hey, I’m still around!  The following week though, will be a different story.  In two weeks, I am off to Oshakati for the weekend!  One of the girls is having a birthday party and since my birthday is that week too, I figured I should treat myself to some girl time.  I’m already super pumped to see everyone again and to head to Benny’s for a pool day!

No comments:

Post a Comment