Translate

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Southern Blood


It’s a country kind of day.  Play that Jason Aldean and a little Hunter Hayes.  Take my heart back to the good ole South.  Remind me that Southern men are better than I give them credit for.  Remember that my blood runs deep with that Southern pride even if I live a semi-nomadic life.

It is almost the weekend and I survived another Namibian week, and quite gracefully I must say, besides the hiccup at the beginning of the week where all of my classes changed.  I no longer teach grade 6 English, but I now teach grade 5 (HELP!).  Also, they took away grade 8 and 9 Arts and gave me 6, 8, and 9 BIS (Basic Information Science).  It was stressful and frustrating, but just like most situations, with time it became acceptable.  The biggest struggle is changing a month into school, with only about 40 teaching days left in this term. 

During the week, I was also able to make a quick trip into Opuwo.  Oh, and I turned 23.  For those of you wondering, my birthday here was pretty basic.  Only a couple people at school knew it was my birthday, and they kindly got me small gifts within their budget.  The male teacher that I am closest with got me a coffee mug and some sweets, and one of the older ladies got me a towel and washcloth, which will come in handy throughout the year.  I was seriously just flattered that they remembered and acknowledged it.  On my birthday, I also had a 4-hour meeting.  It started at 6pm and got out at 10pm.  AFRICAN TIME FO SURE!

As for this weekend, I am headed to OSHIKATI to see my favorite girls!!!!  I am so pumped to be with all of them again and to celebrate birthdays.  I will be taking my first combi ride alone (hopefully with another teacher), which I’m sure will lead to another blog entry within the week.
I miss you all like crazy.  And again, thank you all for the sweet birthday wishes.  Every single one made that day even more special!

Almost two months into this crazy adventure, which means only 2 more until my parents come, 7 until Amanda and Mark arrive, and 10 until I return home.  You can do anything for a year!

1 comment:

  1. G-R-I-T-S...Girl Raised In The South! I remember that acronym from a trip to see y'all in Louisiana many moons ago!
    You are prayed for daily...a map of your area is my desktop bagkground at work!
    Aunt Lee

    ReplyDelete