Translate

Friday, February 8, 2013

Letter Writing



            Today, I had an incredibly successful 8A class.  I was a little apprehensive given our art fiasco the day before, but these learners are resilient and bounced back as if nothing happened, which makes me so happy since I want to be liked.  Today, I taught them the proper format of a letter.  I showed them where the address goes, the date, how to format the body, opening and closing.  After all of the technical stuff, I gave them two options.  One, we could write a letter to poachers in Namibia about the importance of our animals, or two, we could write a letter to the mayor of Opuwo about our school needs.  They chose the latter, which made me happy, since I knew it would be easier.  I started off the letter, showing them how things would be done, but quickly asked them to share what things needed to be changed.  The learners were so eager to have their voice be heard.  They talked about the food, the hostels, the water, the school condition, etc.  Their energy was contagious and I did not want to leave class.  I wanted to continue writing the letter in order for all of the learners to share what they felt was important.  On Friday, I will collect the letters.  After grading through some, I will definitely be posting some on the blog, but I just wanted to share some uplifting news for now.

1 comment: