Translate

Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Silver Lining


I am literally sitting on my bed as a goat baahhhs non-stop outside of my window.  Is this really my life?  Apparently so!  I wake up in the middle of the night to animals making crazy noises all the time.  Some you’d think were dying, others are having a little too much fun for their own good.  The students seriously wouldn’t even need sex education because it is happening all around them in the form of wildlife.  I have seen donkeys getting it on in almost every town I have been in.

Besides donkeys, this week has been miraculously so much better.  I didn’t have to work on Monday due to the fact that I had to go to Oshakati with Ashley and Mailin to get our tax ids.  The drive there was quick, but our driver decided to take his time on the way home.  Buttons were pushed.  Depressing love songs were played as loud as they could be for 6 hours.  Cars were switched because they were “broken”.  Heated words were exchanged to make him move faster.  But yet, we still had about 5 extra hours put onto our trip thanks to him.

Tuesday, I was ready to get back to my learners and teach.  My school is so on top of some stuff, like paperwork and things they want to happen.  However, we found ourselves starting all over again when it came to the time-table.  My schedule has changed numerous times and although it has been incredibly frustrating, my parents keep reminding me that I need to be like a duck.  I’m seriously thinking of getting a duck tattooed on my head, hand, body, just to remember that I need to be a duck.  I need to let things roll off of my back.

As far as my learners, some of them are really beginning to like me a lot!  My grade 7 and 8 learners are awesome.  They are so intrigued by my life and I am of theirs too.  Several girls have told me that they want to show me their homes and their families.  I would absolutely LOVE to meet their families and see how and where they live.  I know some are in the locations, but others are in small homestead like places.  The boys are another story.  They are so close to my age, so I can see their flirty side trying to come out.  I constantly feel like I am teaching high school, but in reality, it is only 8th grade.

In other news, our water went out again this week.  That was the third time in two and a half weeks.  I’m sure that has to be some kind of record!  Because of no water, I tackled my first bucket shower last night.  It was not a pretty site, but it got the job done and I was clean enough to go to work the next day.  I am also on hostel supervision this week, which includes supervising meals, study, and bedtimes.  There are three of us on duty though, so therefore I am able to skip some stuff and go to Opuwo for part of the weekend.  Lastly, my 8th grade classes and I wrote “About Me Intros” this week.  I read mine aloud and they had to practice listening and answering questions about what they heard.  I collected their work and was able to read everything they shared.  These kids are seriously awesome! I cannot emphasize that enough.  They talked about how they don’t have a lot of money, but are so thankful for their parents, they told me they believe in Jesus and always want to follow Him, and they shared crazy information like their dad has five wives and 28 children.  This country is unique, but awesome.  I am blessed and challenged each day I am here!

No comments:

Post a Comment