Translate

Friday, February 8, 2013

Movies and Relaxation


My work has finally begun to slow down, which means I am able to relax, watch some movies, read some books.  It has been a breath of fresh air to have some me time.  I know it will get boring soon, but currently, I am very happy for this change of pace.  Today, I was able to watch Did You Hear About the Morgans?  I haven’t watched that movie in awhile, but I love Sarah Jessica Parker, and anything that takes you to the country.  It was so great to watch some good ole American living, rodeos included.  Gosh I love the rodeo!  And obviously, that led me to think about the fact that I am missing the rodeo this year.  Such a bummer since I know so many great artists are gonna be there.  In other news, I was also able to pick up a little bit of wifi on my netman.  It is by no means good, but just knowing I am one step closer to those I love is heartwarming.  I think if I want to really be able to do anything on it, I will have to learn to disable my pictures.  No idea how to do that, so if you know, send me the deets J

After writing about some of the learners not being motivated, I was presented with one that is completely devoted to his work.  While everyone else was at sports, I was working on classroom visual aids.  The principal requires us to put some up in the room, so I quickly made a poster type thing for each one of my classes.  When I went into 8B, there was one boy working on homework all alone.  He politely greeted me and we discussed what he was doing.  I was seriously so proud of him in that moment because I know his friends and classmates were off having fun and playing, but here he sat, dedicated to getting his work done.  I don’t know his story, but I am proud to be one of his teachers.

Some random Namibian facts/pointers:
·      Be prepared to rarely wash your hands
·      Always have a stash of water in case of water going out
·      Accept that you will look like a scrub for a whole year
·      Realize that everyone in Opuwo may have some idea of who you are, so keep your mouth shut
·      Don’t plan on there being a happy medium.  Namibia is either on one side of the extreme spectrum
·      Know you will always get a headache when around a Himba woman for too long
·      With that being said, you will always know when a Himba is in or has been in a shop
·      Plan to have a “boyfriend” or “fiancé” in every situation with locals, or else, you will be married to the whole village
·      With that being said, wear your ring on your ring finger
·      Get used to people laughing at things that are not funny/do not make sense
·       Prepare for sunsets that only God could create
·      Become ok with wearing the same thing 2-4 days in a row and nobody thinking you are crazy
·      Know that peanut butter is in its own food category on the food pyramid and is perfectly ok for breakfast, lunch, dinner, morning snack, afternoon snack, midnight snack

There will be plenty more to come, but until then.  Peace and Namibz!

No comments:

Post a Comment