Translate

Friday, February 8, 2013

Weekly bumps


As a new teacher, I have had to raise my voice a couple of times to get the learners back on task.  Sometimes I feel mean, but with classes this large in classrooms that echo with every small noise made, it is needed and I think expected.  Today however, was different.  It was the first time I actually yelled or seriously raised my voice at a class.  Looking back now, I regret it, but I do not know how I would have changed the situation.  So that you understand, let me share what happened.  I had 8A Arts today during 9th period.  The learners had started a picture a couple weeks back.  When I arrived to class, I told them to take out the drawing, to finish it, to borrow my colors, and to turn it in before they left.  I even made the comment that if they lost it, they needed to start over and still turn it in.  Throughout the class, students were working.  Some were already finished and were able to start other homework, but still, others were working on their art.  I periodically asked if they were doing ok, and briefly walked around to check up on them.  At the end of the class, learners turned in their work.  However, there were a couple boys that had done nothing.  They had “lost” their work and had not bothered to restart the assignment.  To say I was mad was probably an understatement.  I wasn’t just mad, I was irritated, I felt disrespected, and I was angry at their lack of motivation.  And lack of motivation is exactly what a lot of it is.  These learners have excessive amounts of study opportunities, but yet I am not receiving homework from half of the class.  I know this happens in America, but I was always a student to turn in everything on time.  I am not sure if the situations are arising because I am new and they see me as easy, but I have been recording all of their grades and keeping track of everything they do.  I also don’t know if this is just their individual work ethic.  Maybe they act like this in every class.  Who is to say?

In other news, I am struggling with constantly being told to do things.  I do not think learners have been taught to form a question outside of the classroom.   “Miss, give me water.  Miss, I am hungry.  Miss, give me a dictionary.  Miss, give me cooking oil.  Miss, let me see your pictures.  Miss, I am coming to watch a movie tomorrow.”  My thoughts…Miss um excuse me?!  Again, I’m not sure how to handle this situation.  I honestly only have enough resources for myself.  I have let learners “borrow” stuff and have not had it returned.  I have lent a helping hand, which leads to helping everyone.  That is the hardest part.  I know that these learners are hungry and hot and thirsty, but there are 400 of them, and only one of me.  I don’t have the money to help all of them, so it really isn’t right for me to do some of this stuff for any of them.  I don’t really see the learners going to the other teachers, but I may be wrong.  Maybe they are asking and I am oblivious.  This situation extends to more than just the learners though.  I have had teachers do similar things.  “Miss Mac, give me your marking pen.”  Thoughts, suggestions, and prayers pertaining to this situation are greatly appreciated!

Lastly, the water is out again and my toilet is broken.  Thank the Lord for that outhouse or my house would be a disgusting, smelly mess.  With a bajillion people using our toilet that is incapable of flushing, it is 100% clogged and nobody, including myself has taken the time to fix it.  I avoid that bathroom like the plague it is so gross to me, so I would rather use the outhouse than attempt to fix the toilet.  As for the water, I guess I need to just get used to that going out weekly.  It usually comes back on within the day, so that’s not too awful.  During these times, I awkwardly take a bucket shower and savor every drop of water I have in my fridge.  It is also beneficial to have canned food items in stock all the time, since cooking can get limited during these days/hours.

Well, that’s all for today.  I am hoping Thursday and Friday go by quickly and I can get into Opuwo as soon as possible to see all of my friends.  I am counting down the class periods until I’m there.  Only 10 to go!

All my love,
Tay

P.S.  The principal kept “praising” me for being the only one ever on time and for handing in all of my preparation forms.  It’s nice to get some approval, but I’m not sure the other teachers are digging it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment